A single mosquito bite can make you extremely sick due to the fact they are carriers of several deadly diseases including West Nile, Zika, malaria, chikungunya, meningitis, and various forms of encephalitis. Unfortunately, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, cases of mosquito-born illnesses have doubled between 2004 and 2018 and are on the increase in the United States. Simply looking at last year’s rainfall totals in north Georgia (almost 20 inches higher than average) it is easy to see that 2019 could be bringing higher than average rainfalls and with those rains there will likely be a higher mosquito population.
DIY Mosquito Control and Protection
You can take a few steps to prevent mosquitoes from breeding near your home and to protect yourself, your family, and your pets from their bites.
- Personal insect repellants: Repellants containing DEET are the most effective but there are other alternatives. Be sure to reapply often for thorough protection.
- Choose your time outdoors: Stay indoors during dawn and dusk hours when most female mosquitoes are feeding.
- Eliminate breeding spots: Eliminating larvae is much more efficient than trying to kill adult mosquitoes. Since mosquitoes love to breed and lay their eggs in standing water, it is crucial to remove any of these collections from areas around your home. Check your home’s gutters and under eaves, porches, decks, gazebos, and other shade structures. Drain stagnant water from your any fountains, birdbaths, and flowerpots. Look for other sneaky spots that retain moisture such as tree holes, sprinkler heads, accent decor, and shady areas.
The Truly Nolen Solution
When you need protection from mosquitoes, trust Truly Nolen Atlanta and our 5-Step Truly Nolen Solution:
- Inspection: Our process begins with a customer interview, followed by a thorough visual inspection of the entire property for proper pest identification and determination of a course of action.
- Resting Sites: Our technician will then use a power sprayer or backpack mister to treat protected vertical and inverted surfaces of dense vegetation up to a height of 6 feet. We also treat the perimeter up to 50 feet away from the structure.
- Post Bite Sites: We will then address and treat post bite sites within 10 feet of the bite zone and up to 3 feet from ground level focusing around doors and windows, common places where mosquitoes rest after a blood meal as they prepare to lay eggs.
- Moisture Control: We apply a small amount of granular larvicide to areas where moisture collects and mosquitoes lay eggs, examples include tree holes, potted plants and sprinkler heads. We also treat suspected breeding sites like ponds, ditches and fountains.
- Programmable Misting Machine: As an optional step or depending on pest pressure we can install a programmable misting machine to eliminate adult flying insects from around the home.
Trust Truly Nolen for Full Mosquito Protection
Protect your family and your pets (mosquitoes can also infect your pets with heart worms and other diseases) with mosquito protection from Truly Nolen. Call us at (678) 827-2847 or fill out our online form to schedule your free inspection today!